Causes Of Foot Pain:
Foot pain is a common problem with a wide range of causes. Rigorous running, prolonged standing, or an injury can lead to pain in the foot. However, plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendinitis have been cited as two major causes. These simple-yet-effective at-home exercises can help relieve foot pain and reduce the risk of future injuries.
1. Sitting Plantar Fascia Stretch:
This exercise helps alleviate pain in the plantar fascia.
- Sit down with your back straight on a chair (without armrests).
- Cross one foot over the other knee.
- Grab the base of your toes and pull them towards your body until you feel a light stretch.
- Hold this position for 20-25 seconds.
- Repeat the sequence three times.
2. Plantar Fascia Stretch:
This is yet another effective exercise for foot pain relief.
- Sit down and rest the arches of your foot on a round object. (A cylinder like a can of beans would also do)
- Roll the tin in all possible directions for 2-5 minutes.
- Repeat the exercise three times.
3. Towel Pickup:
This exercise strengthens your Achilles tendon and reduces the chances of it developing again in the future. It also helps in healing the foot pain. .
- Sit down on a chair (without armrests) with your back straight.
- Keep a towel or a hand napkin on the ground in front of your feet.
- Pick up the towel using your toes while your heels still touching the ground.
- Repeat the movement for 15-20 times.
- You can consider wetting the towel to make it heavier and increase the weight of the object.
4. Achilles Tendon And Plantar Fascia Stretch:
One of the most productive exercises to free you from foot pain, this stretch is a must for those who often suffer from Achilles tendinitis or plantar fasciitis.
- Begin by looping a towel around the ball of your right foot.
- Now proceed to pull your toes towards your body.
- Remember to keep your knees extended and your leg flat on the ground.
- Hold this pose for around 30-45 seconds.
- Repeat the same with the left foot.
- Do three sets for each side.
5. Wall Push:
This double-edged workout is a two-in-one remedy for foot pain. It helps strengthen your Achilles tendon and your plantar fascia as well.
- Face a wall.
- Put both your palms on the wall at shoulder height and keep your back straight.
- Place your right foot just in front of the left. The front foot should be placed 30 cms from the wall.
- Bend the right knee towards the wall, keeping the left one straight.
- Keep going until your calf muscle of your left leg feels tight.
- Relax and switch legs.
- Repeat three times with each leg.
- Repeat the same movement as above, the only difference being that you will no longer keep your knee straight.
- Bend your right knee towards the wall.
- Next, bend your left knee slightly.
- Repeat this motion around 5-10 times.
Wrong selection of shoes or wearing shoes that do not fit properly can also lead to foot pain. It is always advisable to go for comfortable footwear with insoles to keep the foot pain at bay. If the pain persists, consult a doctor.
Did you find this post helpful? Share this post with your friends and family. Tell us your views in the comments section below.