Nutrition Obtained From Egg Whites:
If you are planning to go on a weight loss diet this year, try to incorporate a lot of egg whites into your meals. They are high in nutrition and very low in calories. One egg white contains the following nutrients:
- 17 calories
- 0% cholesterol
- 0.1 gram fat
- 55 mg of sodium
- 3.6 grams of protein
- 2.3 grams of calcium
- 53.8 grams of potassium
The nutrient content found in egg whites is much more than other sources of protein. It is a clear winner when compared to egg yolks.
Why Should You Stick To Egg Whites?
1. Source Of Protein:
Egg whites contain protein in abundance. One egg white contains around 4 grams of protein. This is much more in quantity when compared to lean meat or fish. Even though egg yolks are full of fat, egg yolks contain none of it. However, you should always remember to eat boiled egg whites. When eggs are fried in greasy oil or butter, they tend to lose their nutritional value. Plus, you become prone to heart diseases.
Interesting fact: Protein helps you to build lean muscles, skin, blood and cartilage.
2. Low Calories:
Egg whites are super low in calories. One large egg usually contains 71 calories. When you cut out the yolk, you immediately remove 55 calories. In short, you are only left with 16-17 calories. That is not a loss but a gain. So, if you cook a three egg white omelette for breakfast, you will consume around 51 to 60 calories. On the other hand, when you make omelettes using egg whites, you tend to consume 220 calories. The difference is quite obvious.
3. Boosts Your Daily Intake Of Calcium:
The side effects of eating less calcium are plenty. It links you to a number of diseases such as osteoporosis, breast and colon cancer, high blood pressure and arthritis. In short, regulation of calcium intake will certainly avert unpredictable disorders. You can control this with the help of egg whites. One large egg white contains 2.3 grams of calcium.
Interesting fact: Calcium is an essential mineral that maintains skeletal health . It also boosts the absorption of vitamins and regulates the nervous system.
4. The Power Of Sodium:
Sodium is an essential electrolyte and ion that your body needs in order to improve heart and nerve health. Its deficiency leads to vomiting, diarrheal and kidney problems. You can, however, counteract them with the help of egg whites. It contains 55 grams of sodium, which is enough for daily intake.
Interesting fact: Sodium is a must for all athletes. It prevents muscle cramps that are usually caused due to lack of water. It effectively prevents dehydration by supplying your body with sodium-rich juices.
5. The Much Needed Friend, Potassium:
Potassium is the necessity of life. You need this excellent source of vitamin to control digestive disorders, cancer, strokes and arthritis. Egg whites contain 3.6 grams of protein that regulates blood pressure and lowers cholesterol.
Interesting fact: Potassium also helps in fighting stress and anxiety. It is best for muscle and bone health too.
Egg White Recipes:
If you thought egg whites are used only for preparing delicious omelettes, rethink right away. Surprisingly, they are versatile just like any other protein source. Egg whites could be used for a wide number of purposes in the culinary world.
Here are some wonderful egg recipes you must try today!
1. Key Lime Pie:
You don’t have to rush to your favourite restaurant for a slice of key lime pie anymore. This exotic and toothsome dish is now easy to prepare at home.
- 11 ½ grams of cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 6 spoons of unsalted butter
- 4 large egg yolks
- 8 large egg whites
- ½ a cup of key lime juice
- ½ a teaspoon of salt
- 11 ½ cups of cream
- 1 spoon of grated key lime zest
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Combine the crackers, sugar and butter in a medium bowl. Continue mixing. Spread into a nine-inch plate and bake till it has become slightly brown. Remove and let it cool.
- For the filling, preheat the oven again to 325 degrees F. Add condensed milk, egg yolks and key lime juice to a bowl. Mix quickly. Pour into the crust.
- Return the pie into the oven. Bake till it quivers. This should take 17 minutes approx.
- For the whipped cream topping, mix cream and sugar in a bowl. It would be a better idea to whisk. Use a mixer if you can instead. Continue whisking for 3 minutes. Spoon over the pie that has been just cooled.
- Finally, you have to prepare the meringue topping. Get hold of a large bowl and mix egg whites, salt and sugar in it. With the help of an electric mixer, beat till its medium high. Spread the meringue all over the pie.
- Your dish is now ready to serve.
2. Fluffy Pancakes:
Fluffy pancakes are ideal for Sunday breakfasts. It tastes delectable and promises to be a great treat! Here is how you should go about it.
- 14 cups of flour
- 3 spoons of sugar
- One teaspoon of baking powder
- One teaspoon of salt
- 11 ½ cups of buttermilk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of unsalted butter
- 2 spoons of vegetable oil
- Maple syrup
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Keep aside.
- Mix eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and melted butter. Whisk vegetable oil too.
- Mix buttermilk into the flour mixture till it has turned moist.
- Heat a non-stick skillet for a minute. Add half a spoon of butter to cook.
- Ladle one third cups of butter.
- Cook till pancakes are brown.
- This should take two minutes.
- Repeat with the batter that is left.
Egg Whites For Skin:
Egg whites can benefit your skin immensely. In fact, some of the popular homemade masks contain egg whites as a primary ingredient. Here are a few you should try soon!
1. Avocado And Egg White Mask:
The avocado and egg white mask is perfect for ladies with dry skin. It helps you achieve that flawless and radiant look you’ve always wanted. All you need to do is smash one avocado with egg whites. Apply all over the face. Wash off after 20 minutes.
2. Yogurt And Egg White Mask:
The yogurt and egg white mask is for females with sensitive skin. Again, the purpose of this face mask is to help you achieve fine and smooth skin. Mix one egg white with a tablespoon of yogurt and honey. Apply to your face and rinse with cold water after 20 minutes.
3. Lemon And Egg White Mask:
Lemon and egg whites are a great combination for those who have pimples or acne. Mix two tablespoons of lemon juice with egg whites and apply specifically on the affected areas. You will see a difference soon.
How did you like this post on egg whites? Give us your feedback by commenting in the box below!
cover photo: stylecraze.com